onsdag 18 april 2018

THE BLUES MAGOOS/BASIC BLUES MAGOOS SR-61167 (-68) US

Had the band's first two LP:s early seventies but lost both many moons ago. I remember liking the garage psych though for reasons I can't recall didn't value them high enough to avoid trading. Listening today from various sources on the net I miss having them and will get new copies as soon as opportunity gives. Found this their third - and last album before original setting break-up - a while ago and as far as I can hear it's different from its predecessors. Apparently influenced by British psych pop/rock and to my great joy at least some by The Move. Not only through the cover of "I Can Hear The Grass Grow" - here more psychedelic than the original and very good as such - but also the lovely "Sibyl Green (Of The Inbetween)". A couple of the other tracks may slightly remind of The Who while others are just weird not reminding of anything else. A little uneven to my taste, yet the blend of UK and US psych, leastways partly profoundly played and produced, makes it worth while. Audio not entirely fitting my ears - too much treble - but it is what it is and as an original canonized since -68. Favorite tracks - "I Can Hear The Grass Grow", "Sibyl Green..." and the mighty heavy "I Can Move A Mountain". To my knowledge only originally issued on vinyl in US and Canada (same number). UK 2004 CD on Repertoire Records (REPUK 1051) came with six bonus tracks, where of four mono single mixes. First US had label as shown here and glossy fold/out cover. (YZÄ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar