tisdag 7 november 2017

MOBY GRAPE/WOW (S) 63271 (-68) UK STEREO VS. MONO

The band's second album and part of the "WoW/Grape Jam" release where two separate albums, one studio and one live, was sold together at the price of one. For some reason one of the studio tracks -"Just like Genne Autry ; A Foxtrot" - was cut at '78 rpm. Not easy to enjoy on my turntable so I've never heard it properly. But listening to the rest it's much more adventurous than the debute - a mix between psych, power soul, country, heavily orchestrated ballads and one track with "chipmunk" vocals. Less tended than any of their other albums making the ride more uncertain. In my book the best they did and the only of theirs I pick out and still enjoy today. I already posted the mono and never had any doubt that was a fold, though made from an OK compatible. Reason I'm doing this is I sometimes see dealers presenting it as some kind of "mono mix". So just to be absolutely sure I sat down and compared the formats..and to the best of my hearing I can confirm that the UK "Wow" mono is a fold. Sounds very good most of the time, but there's no difference to connecting the channels on the stereo. Don't know if that matters for the die-hard Moby Grape collector, still it is important to know what you pay for. The US issue (CS 9613) also came as a mono promo. Not sure if that also was a fold or some kind of separate mix. If anyone reading this has hard facts - please comment and tell. First UK had labels as shown here and fully laminated covers with CBS inners. (CPYC*) (MÅW*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar