torsdag 9 november 2017

BEACON STREET UNION/THE EYES OF THE BEACON STREET UNION C-8069 (-68) UK MONO

(One of the first LP:s I posted on this page. Been listening a lot to it lately and feel it's time for a rewrite and repost.) Band founded by students from Boston University and made part of MGM's promoted "Bosstown Sound" together with groups like Ultimate Spinach and Orpheus. Recorded two albums for the label and one more under the name "Eagle" for Janus Records, but never hit the big time. This debute LP reaching #75 on Billboard became their most prosperous moment before dissolvimg 1970. It's been on my shelf unnoticed for a long time now, but after being reminded by a thread at Steve Hoffman's I picked it out and fell in love again. This is stunning psych/acid garage. Right on and energetic including howling guitars, lots of organ and emotional vocals. Up-tempo mixed with a couple of calmer tunes and all if not entirely dirty so at least soiled. The cuts go so well together, especially on side two. If I dare to start with the hard hitting "Sadie Saíd No" there's no way out and I just have to sit it out till the last note of "The Prophet", totally enthralled by "Speed Kills", "Blue Avenue" and the scary "South End Incident". To my ears this sounds like a dedicated mono mix - clear, balanced and strong with perfect separation. As I've heard also released as stock mono in US and in that case it's probably from those tapes. First UK had label as shown here and laminated flip/back cover. (YMÖ*) (ÖGÄ*)

4 kommentarer:

  1. Actually I believe both Beacon Street US monos are promotional only. I have both, along with stock stereos, and they are fabulous. I also recommend Behold and See, Ultimate Spinach's 2nd LP, which just had its rare mono promo mix reissued by Sundazed. A much better value than finding an original (an its unedited, unlike the 1st pressing).

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thanks for the insight Andrew! I would love to find any Ultimate Spinach mono. Doubt the originals will show up at a price fitting my wallet, but I'm now talking my fav local dealer into importing Sundazed stuff. Let's see where that goes.

      Radera
  2. I’ve a two disc test pressing of this. One single sided disc is Side One in mono and the other single sided disc is side two in stereo. I imagine there’s another copy out there with alternate mono/stereo discs. UK sleeve and pressings.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Wow! That is something else! Never heard of a test pressing of this before. Hopefully someone reading this has the siblings to Your copies to get a chance to ally them in some way...

      Radera