söndag 10 september 2017

LOVE/DA CAPO EKL 4005 (-66) US MONO

Found this long after I discovered their masterpiece "Forever Changes". Probably unfair to compare the two, but up against that this is only half as good...and I mean that in a literal sense since the 18:57 "Revelation" covering side two to my ears is nothing more than a huge filler. One of those cuts you may be happy it exists, but never listen to. I've really tried to sit through and get the point, but all I hear is a mindless jam session. I would have appreciated it more on drugs late sixties, but listening with unpotted ears it makes no sense at all. That said..side one is exactly to my taste. Starting with the raunchy "Stefanie Knows Who" it goes on to be good psychedelic rock with a garage feeling. "Orange Skies" dreamy with some odd twists, "Que Vida" has nice flutes and rythms, "Seven And Seven Is" sounds like the band was on buckets of speed, "The Castle" and "She Comes In Colours" very emotional ballads. What lifts it above many other psych albums of the time is the songwriting - in the middle of the experimenting you also get good lyrics and catchy melodies showing on brain and perspective. In my world not up with "Forever Changes", but the good side almost there. Have no original stereo to compare with at the moment, but as I get from posts on Steve Hoffman and other places this mono is a separate mix. Original vinyl releases on Electra in US, Canada, downunder and Germany. French on Vogue (CLVLXEK 249). Also on 4-track, 8-track and reel-to-reel. 2002 CD on Electra/Warner came with both stereo and mono versions plus one bonus track. Premiere US had label as shown here and glossy cover. (YZÄ*) (ÖXCÅ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar