torsdag 7 september 2017

JOHN MAYALL/MOVING ON 2391-047 (-72) UK

A kind of follow-up to the 1971 "Jazz Blues Fusion" live album with abourt the same crew, this time recorded live at the Whiskey A GoGo, Los Angeles, July 10 1972. I'm seeing reviews it's in many ways subpar to the JBF forerunner, but since not familiar with that so far I can listen and enjoy without prejudice. All songs signed "Mayall" and though non of them can be called catchy or especially memorable - that's not what makes the record. I get top musicians doing good fusion in a cozy club atmosphere. Audio and mixing top notch, providing true connection. And this record bringing me close is what makes it. I am at that club and they're playing for me. Mayall himself may not have the most beautiful vocals, but we already knew that and at least it's personal. Some of the solos are really great - I especially like the soft flute in "Christmas '71" and perky guitar in "Red Sky". As a whole maybe not the best album carrying his name, but still enjoyable listening and a time travel as good as any. Early issues on vinyl in all parts of the world. First US on Polydor (PD 5036). 2009 UK CD on Lemon Recordings (CDLEM 116). Premiere UK had label as shown here and thin glossy cover. (LYBÖ*) (MÄH*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar