torsdag 15 december 2016

PETER, PAUL AND MARY/A SONG WILL RISE W 1589 (-65) US MONO

A combo I never listened closely to as a teen in the sixties. I wanted my music pushy and boundary-breaking and this was way too soft for me. Girlfriends dug it and for some reason it was also approved by many of the communist youth groups I went in and out of back then, so they were played a lot at gatherings and parties. This is one of the albums I remember, both from courting and communions. Thought it would be fun to listen again and see if I like it better fifty years later. And actually at large it's not that far from the UK folk stuff I fancy today. The acoustic backing including double bass, the vocal style and even part of the song choices are about the same. "The Cuckoo" and "Gilgarra Mountain" (Whiskey In The Jar) are British traditionals and others folk standards on both sides of the Atlantic. "Monday Morning" became a huge hit in Sweden and still loved as "Balladen Om Fredrik Åkare Och Den Söta Fröken Cecilia Lind", translated and first performed here by singer/songwriter Cornelis Vreeswijk. All the above make me feel at home and even if still a little too soft for my taste the lines are open and I will come back for more. Issued on vinyl all over the world in the sixties. First UK came with same label, number and cover design. US CD on Warner Bros. (9 26225-2) Premiere US had label as shown here and glossy cover. (YZÄ*) (ÖXCÅ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar