onsdag 19 oktober 2016

ROY WOOD WIZZO BAND/SUPER ACTIVE WIZZO K 56388 (-77) UK

I love Roy Wood, but this one-off Wizzo Band album is one of my least favorites by the man. Through Move, ELO, Wizzard and solo up to this there'd always been well written songs with sincere melodies, odd instrumentations and more or less funny and/or unexpected quirks in a friendly atmosphere, inviting me to have a good time. Here I'm suddenly on the outside looking in. With its long numbers it's almost like a prog version of "Wizzard's Brew", but lighter with a jazzier output having less emphasis on melody and instead concentrating on rythms and long instrumental sections. I guess it offers good things for die-hard prog fans, but I need something to hold on to - catchy themes and melodies making it stick - and there's not much of that here. Some of the songs have promising parts, but I have a hard time making myself sit put through all instrumental interventions. Well played and produced for sure, but I'd wished for more. Also released in US (Warner Bros. BS 3065). 2007 CD reissue on Wounded Bird Records (WOU 3065). Premiere UK had label as shown here and thin matt cover. (RÖWS*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar